Labels

Monday, July 16, 2012

Day Twenty-Six...Utilities, Job Search, and Beggars...

OK.....so stoked to have the condo that I've already scheduled all the utilities to be turned on in my name...sweet!  Trying to consider whether the price of internet is worth it.  I do so love my internet, but their company wants $19.99 for the first six months and then it takes a steep hike to $50 a month, and that's for the cheapest connection.  I don't like being locked in a contract not knowing my work situation in six months and then being forced to up my cable bill by 250%.  Anyhoo..first world problems, right?

Speaking of problems, I finally received a check I've been waiting for (an old investment account that I've had to clean out for this move), and when I went to deposit it in the ATM, it was after hours so I had to deposit at the ATM outside.  While doing so, a woman pulled up and asked me to pay for her and her children to eat at the all-you-can-eat buffet two doors down (which, incidentally, costs $7.99 a person..or it did the last time I could afford to eat there).  I was shocked into silence for a minute...and then said, "What?!"  She repeated herself, obviously irritated, and added, "We're going through a rough time right now...." and kind of trailed off.  She was driving a car that was maaaybe three years old, very nice, clean and almost empty (I say this because it wasn't full of suitcases, bags, blankets, and/or pillows that would indicate a family living in their vehicle), she was wearing nice clothes and jewelry, and her kids were all plump and dressed VERY nicely.  I explained to her that I am also going through a very tough time and I really needed these funds from the check I was depositing, and while I was explaining, she kind of leaned back in her seat, lowered her eyelids, and began to glare at me.  I then said (with an attitude, I know) what I would do is go to a grocery store because it would be vastly cheaper than eating at a restaurant and that I couldn't even afford to eat out right now, at which point she interrupted me, saying, "Nah, nah, that's alright....if you didn't want to f*&ing help me, that's all you had to say."  I was flabbergasted!  I got my receipt and walked back to my car in kind of a daze, too surprised to be mad (yet).  While I was pulling out, I heard her yelling to the car pulling in beside me to access the same ATM, so I guess she's just going to camp out by the ATM and ask every person withdrawing money (which, yeah....I wasn't even withdrawing, I was depositing...I didn't even have cash in hand!).

This incident just followed a lot of discussions about food stamps, people being "entitled", etc.  I've never been on public assistance and hope to never be...it would be very difficult for me to do.  I've set a goal for myself of applying for at least five jobs a day, and with the lengthy online applications most employers have now, I spend between 25-50 minutes on each application online.  So I'm spending at least five hours a day job searching, between searching, looking up companies, and filling out the applications, and I still haven't gotten one bite.  So, over a week ago, I figured I would follow up with phone calls and any other mode of communication I could find on their website...email, etc.  So when I call, I get a standard, "We've received your information and we'll be contacting you if we need more information," and when I email, I get nothing.  Ugh.  I'm thinking I will have more luck after the move when I can go beat the streets and apply in person.  Since it's been confirmed that I am most likely going to be a Fellow in the fellowship program for the veteran's program, I only need a job until late October when my fellowship begins, and if I can't land a job by the second week of August, I will have to get on some sort of public assistance. 

Sooo, the whole "theoretical" discussion of public assistance and entitlement takes a very personal turn when you're facing that potential situation. 

Anyway, that's all TBD at this time, so I'm going with the plan of getting a job that will carry me through October and then having a blast at this fellowship for six months and focusing on landing a full-time job out of that!  Gotta think positive, gotta be positive!

Alright...getting ready for bed with the kiddos, who are making me laugh and keeping my days full of sunshine and giggles!  Twelve days and counting.......!!

No comments:

Post a Comment