Labels

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day Thirty...Where It All Began...

OK, so maybe describing Greenie's Bar as "where it all began" is maybe slightly inaccurate, but I find something nostalgic in ending my time in Hampton Roads in the bar in which I spent much of my time in my first days in Hampton Roads.

Casey is my oldest friend still in the area....we met in the Navy when I was serving in Ship's Laundry (yeah, you read that right...we bonded over detergent and starch), so when he asked if I wanted to have a drink before I left, of course I agreed!

My time here has been varied....I was assigned here for the duration of my Navy enlistment, and after that I took a total departure and have been working in the nonprofit sector here ever since.  I've been so caught up in the nonprofit world here lately that I've completely lost touch with my "roots"...the reason I came here.  Taking one step inside Greenie's, however, brought all that rushing back.

I fondly remember a fun time when our fellow shipmates were our absolute best friends and we were tighter than family. We laughed over cheap beers at Greenie's and worked hard side by side on our ship.  Casey is the only remaining link I have to that time of fond memories (everyone else has moved away or was stationed elsewhere), and I treasure his friendship and will definitely miss having him so close by.  I consider him one of my best friends, and I look forward to the next chapter of our friendship.

Today I spent over four hours painting the dining room chairs and table only to discover I have the wrong kind of varnish, so once again, part of my task list is pushed to tomorrow.  Unlike today, I have no plans and will be catching up on some of this list and hope to knock out a lot of work.  For now, I'm hitting the hay after a long day and getting excited for my new chapter in SC.

No comments:

Post a Comment