Labels

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Vegan Banana Bread



Had a couple of glitches, so I'll point them out first:

You're supposed to mix the apple cider vinegar with the soy milk and let it react for a couple of minutes first. I didn't do that, so I think my bread came out a little more dense than if I had.

I didn't have canola oil, so I used vegan mayonnaise, and it worked wonderfully (the main ingredient is canola oil anyway, so yeah)..




  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (I used organic, unbleached)
  • 3/4 cups white granulated sugar (I used raw sugar, and I use less...closer to 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed (I used a little less)
  • 3/4 t. baking soda
  • 3/4 t. salt
  • 3/4 t. cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup plain soy milk or almond milk
  • 1 t. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 cups mashed banana, from about 4 large very ripe bananas
  • 1/4 cup canola oil (I didn't have it, so I actually used the same amount vegan mayonnaise, and it worked!)
  • 2 T. maple syrup
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
  • walnuts



  • I didn't use walnuts because the kids just pick them out, but if it were for me, I LOVE walnuts and it would have been chock-full of them (chock full 'o nuts...LOL).
    Preheat oven to 350.
    Anyway, like I said mix the vinegar & soy milk and set aside to let it react.
    Sift together dry ingredients...
    Mash bananas and mix with wet ingredients.
    Add all together and pour into greased loaf pan.
    Bake @ 350 for an hour or until knife comes out clean.

         *Note: I baked for exactly an hour and it was perfect, however the top was pretty dark (see photo). I think this may be from using the raw sugar and it caramelized more deeply than white sugar may have. I totally didn't mind...it had a nice 'crust' on top, which I love, but if you like a softer top, maybe using the white sugar...

    Like I said, mine was more dense because I didn't let the vinegar react properly, so next time maybe it will have a little more rise, but it still rose pretty well and I'm pretty sure I could give this to friends and they would have no idea it's vegan!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment