Labels

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Journey to Health

A couple of days ago, I was thinking back on the journey that led me to being the vegetarian-going-vegan, yoga-practicing quasi-hippie I've become.

It all started with quitting smoking.  Before then, I made all quick/microwave meals or Southern-style home cooking or we ate out. I felt sluggish, always tired, yet attributed it to having one, two, then three young kids and working.  Then Grayson asked that I quit smoking, almost three years ago.  So I did. Cold turkey.  I still sometimes have a smoke, while drinking.

After I stopped, I felt better and began looking at other areas of my life that I could improve. What came next was the Summer of All Homemade Foods.  After listening to the "Splendid Table" and watching more than my fair share of cooking shows, I made everything from scratch. Jams and jellies, breads, even yogurt. This opened my eyes to what goes into our food (a food that should have only four or five ingredients lists close to thirty on a manufacturer's package) and it began spiraling from there.

First, the farmer's market- Five Points Community Farm Market on the corner of Church and 25th in Norfolk.  Or as I like to call it, one of the coolest farm markets I've ever seen, and here's why: not just a place to get veggies, they have vendors- everything from local dairies & butchers selling raw milk, grass-fed beef and free-range chicken, a cafe (that was actually featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives cause it's THAT good) that makes their whole menu from local food sources, and they even have an electronics recycling repository & a baker that makes all-natural cookies.

So after making a stop at the Farm Market a part of my daily routine, I began experimenting with gardening. I grew a larger and larger garden as I discovered that it's really not that hard.

After moving from Norfolk and not being sure where to find responsible sources of grass-fed beef and other healthy meats, we slowly went vegetarian.  Just the thought of giving my children mass-produced, hormone-injected, chemically-treated slaughterhouse meat made my stomach turn. So we've switched to alternative meat/protein sources, from fake meats to using more lentils, beans, quinoa, and other protein-rich foods.

And now we're pushing out the pus-filled, chemically-treated milks and other dairy products.  The kids have been on soy milk for two weeks straight now and they have no problems with it (John thinks he's getting some kind of chocolate milk in his cereal).

Obviously, there are exceptions. My kids have the occasional ice cream and pizza.  Girl Scout cookies are not subject to any of this.  But the point is that these are the EXCEPTION and not the rule. As a general rule, I choose to fuel our bodies in an ethical, sustainable, healthy manner: good for us and good for the planet.

Through every flu epidemic, my kids are healthy as horses.  No ear infections, no lingering or recurring colds. Beginning with breastfeeding, I was and am determined to keeping my kids' bodies as healthy and pure as possible, but it's not just for the kids.  The effects of this diet and lifestyle are obvious in my own health and body. Total of sixty pounds lost, more energy, mental clarity, and overall improved mood, even through very difficult times.

I know I talk a lot about this stuff, online, to people at work, friends, etc., but I'm passionate about helping my friends realize you don't have to be a total hippie to be healthier & happier (although, in the process you may just become one).

Here's a first step if you'd like to try a tasty, vegan, Indian-inspired meal:

Coconut Curry "Chicken" over Rice

1 can low-fat coconut milk
2 Tbsp (approx...to taste) yellow curry powder
cinnamon to taste
nutmeg to taste
Tbsp brown sugar
1 bag/package faux chicken (I like Gardein's chick strips for this recipe...you can also just use extra-firm tofu)
1/2 yellow onion
Jasmine rice

Cook your Jasmine rice and while cooking...
Saute thinly sliced onion in a little olive oil until soft.
Add chick strips and sprinkle with 1/2 of the curry powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Saute until chick strips are golden brown, then remove from pan to plate.
Add coconut milk to pan & remaining curry, cinnamon, nutmeg, and the brown sugar.
Whisk together and stir occasionally over low/med heat until thick sauce forms.
Add chick strips & onions back to sauce, stir to coat, simmer over low-low until rice is ready.

Serve over rice and with side of any veggie (roasted cauliflower, seared asparagus, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment