Labels

Friday, March 8, 2013

Reminisce

"We laughed away the sunburn
as we laughed away the day
What we lost means nothing
for the memories will stay
."
Thirty years ago you were born.  Four years ago next week you left us.  Still doesn't seem real.  If you're worried Grayson will forget you, he won't.  He has your picture next to his bed and he still talks about you every day.  You're his superhero.  Everyone misses you...it's torn some people apart. It's made some stronger.  It's mended relationships and friendships.  I don't think you ever realized how important you were to so many people.

I ran into Blake months ago- he gave me his number and insisted I call him when Gray's playing ball or something so he can come.  I ran into Nick last week...he asked how everyone was and said we should catch up but left without giving me his number.  Ah well.  Some things never change, eh?  I remember the last time we all hung out, in Nick and Blake's apartment in Columbia and you guys all played this Green Day song acoustic and the memory of it just tears me up, every time.  They played together again a few times but stopped.  You guys made such good music together.

Michael's been a big help....got his second kid on the way!  Can you believe that?!  I remember him coming up to VA before Gray was born and then again when he was born and being so freaked out by a baby!  Every time I hang out with someone from back then, it's like you're there...laughing along, wearing your nasty old baseball hat and some old Less Than Jake shirt.

We all miss you, just...like crazy.  It's a rough time of the year, especially for your family.  Your dad's just never the same and you know he wears his pain right out there.  I've gotten into gardening and stuff so spring is coming back for me as something other than the reminder of that day.

Well, we'll keep on truckin' down here and we'll catch you on the flip side.  Love you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlBMqTRF3h4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc

2 comments:

  1. My first husband, Lee, was killed in a car accident. Grayson, my oldest, is our son. This week marks the anniversary of both his birth and death...it's a rough time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's both terribly painful and wonderfully inspiring to read this.

    ReplyDelete