Labels

Monday, April 22, 2013

Why would that be in a fashion ad?

So anyone who knows me for pretty much any length of time knows that I'm a pretty vocal feminist.  I realize the topic is divisive and uncomfortable, which is where my social skills come into play when I ruin an otherwise pleasant banter around a fire-pit or other gathering of friends by not being able to keep my mouth shut when someone mentions something or says something that I recognize as misogynistic, or perhaps just ignorant.

Whoops.

A few things I just won't tolerate in my presence (and usually means I don't hang out with that person ever again): hate speech, towards any group, and women-bashing speech.  So many men, particularly older ones, feel that it's perfectly OK to make fun of a woman- her appearance, her intelligence, her job performance, etc.- in the company of others, including other women.  What the hell? Beyond the respect from one human being to another, you could even pull from the antiquated notions of chivalry and bite your tongue. Or you could just be a decent person and not degrade someone else in front of others.

Yet what's a girl to do when she turns on the TV (which I don't do any more), flips open a magazine, skims the ads in the borders of her browser, drives past billboards, and sees some of the most offensive messages to and about women?

"Oh, you're overreacting....crazy feminist." you say. Take a look at these ads....do they make you feel comfortable? Or make you want to buy these products?

                 **

Chime in...comment, message, email, etc.

**Credit to Scott Lukas at www.genderads.com

No comments:

Post a Comment