Labels

Monday, June 25, 2012

Day Five- Boxes, Coffee, and Pringles

Today was a day of mixed emotions....tested patience, relieved worries,  and satiated junk food craving.

First of all, another shout out to a great friend....Lisa not only brought me a great stack of boxes but also took me on an errand and to Cafe Stella for an iced latte.  She's the BEST.  While at Stella, I ran into Jesse, who as usual was charming and dependably awesome, especially considering my kids were antsy and hyper at being out in town for the first time in a few weeks (hence the testing my patience referred to above).

Then came the meeting that I'm so glad finally happened- getting MJ squared away for his summer school, graduation, and fall semester at community college.  I can't thank the organization Stand Up for Kids and Mark Stevens enough for their continued involvement and help, and definitely our friends Brad and Fred for providing MJ tutoring and housing as he continues forward. I seriously wish I could be there for his high school graduation, but I'm just thrilled that he's finally achieved it.

     [Back story: MJ is a 19 yr old who Mark found living in a tent in Va Beach during the winter...we took him in and have been helping him reach his goal of graduating high school, along with the help of a lot of great people.]

And finally...getting home starving, needing to run to the store, grabbing a can of Pringles on a whim, and literally running home just a breath ahead of the fat raindrops on our heels and watching the deluge in a crunchy, salty bliss.  Sorry, diet, I'll be back tomorrow.

And finally....the beloved/hated to-do list.  Proud to say I have ALL the kids clothes' washed, dried, and packed up (I even washed the clothes hanging in their closet just so they'd be fresh when we get there) except a few shorts, T's, and undies to wear until then, I've packed up most of their toys, leaving a few out for the meantime, packed up one big box of kitchen items, one big box of extra pillows/tablecloths (oh, yes, I still use real linen tablecloths)/sheets/towels/etc.  So, technically, I'm a bit ahead on my to-do list....yesssss!

This evening is the doozie...probably the most difficult thing I'll do during the next month.  I am attempting to reupholster a couch.  I've got a staple gun, decorative bronze furniture nails, and a lovely neutral canvas material.  If it works out, I'll post photos.  If it doesn't, I won't and I'll use lots of afghans/throws for the next year or so until I can afford to have it professionally done or buy another!  So....if it turns out well, I'll edit this post with a photo later on....stay tuned!


UPDATE:  As promised, photos of my progress so far- I think (a) it's taking me longer than anticipated but (b) it's turning out far better than anticipated.  For instance, on the seat backs, I was honestly going to drape it over, fold the sides in like gift-wrapping, and tack them down that way.  Then I figured, what the heck, I'll TRY sewing it...and it turned out magically.  Very happy.

I've got to do seat cushions today...which kind of stinks because now I need to go to the store and get zippers so I'm not hand-sewing at least 20 inches of cushion closed (per cushion). That would take all day.













No comments:

Post a Comment