Labels

Thursday, October 2, 2008

A peek into my life

This morning was typically typical, so I thought I'd share the events of my day before noon, or even, before nine:
Wake up at 4:30 and open the door for Austin and Jacob. They go immediately to the couch and fall back asleep, and I go back to bed for another hour and a half. Wake up at 6:00, make my bed, and take a shower, get dressed, etc. Wake up John and Callie, get them dressed. Wake up Austin and Jacob and give Austin Toaster Streudel while I load the kids (and their ridiculously oversized carseats) into the car. Get Austin in the car and off to school.

Get home from taking Austin to school around 7:45. Usually Lucas and his mom are waiting when we get home. Open the door and unload Jacob, Callie, and John into the house. Turn on PBS to entertain them until I cook breakfast. Pop John out of his carseat and into his walker. Start coffee brewing.
While pan for pancakes is heating up, move clothes from washer to dryer and take clothes from dryer and put them in hamper to fold later. Mix pancake batter and make dozens of tiny pancakes. In a separate pan, cook two eggs for myself and pop some wheat bread in the toaster for myself. Make my first cup of coffee while flipping pancakes. Call the kids in to the kitchen and get them seated while I put tiny pancakes on tiny cartoony plates, cut them up for Callie and Lucas, but not Jacob because he doesn't like them cut up. Drizzle on a tiny amount of syrup, enough for taste but not enough to end up in toddler hair, where it will later cement. Slice up an orange and divide the slices evenly among the plates. Give plates to kids. Put dirty pans in the dishwasher and feel guilty once again for not buying an EnergyStar washer.

Make a bottle for John and put him down for his morning nap. Run back to the kitchen in time to avoid a toddler food fight and take their dirty plates and put them in non-EnergyStar (*guilty*) dishwasher. Wipe their sticky hands with a warm, wet washcloth, NOT a baby wipe because a baby wipe does NOT remove syrup well but a washcloth does the trick. Herd the kids to Callie's room for them to play and put baby gate up so they don't run amuck in the house.
Sit down to eat my breakfast...now cold. Attempt to read at least the headlines and some of my incoming email before the first toddler fight. Finish my breakfast, take my dish to put in the dishwasher, and see the basket of unfolded laundry on kitchen table. Make second cup of coffee. Fold the laundry. After bending down to pick up a fallen sock, notice dirt on floor. Finish folding laundry, then sweep and mop entire kitchen, dining room, and living room. While waiting for floor to dry, decide to vacuum hall and bedrooms.

And now it's 9:51. I just thought I'd check my email quickly to see if Logan had written (which he hasn't yet...he can never write before noon, but I always check anyway). So there's a rundown of my day, all before 9:51. After this, I'll finish vacuuming, clean the bathroom, move the clothes from the washer to the dryer, fold the whites that are currently in the dryer, and put those items away. Then I'll cook and feed the kids lunch, get them down for their afternoon nap, and finally sit down and do my homework for my science class. Then Carrie will arrive at 1:30 and we'll chat and then I'll go pick up Austin from school and spend the afternoon making sure he doesn't singlehandedly destroy my home. And then I'll put my kiddos to bed, spend a little more time on my schoolwork, and hit the hay around 11. And arise again tomorrow to do it all over!





1 comment:

  1. Iam an old 65 year old working women who read your blog for the first time tonite! It made me remember why I am still a working woman, I loved reading about your day> I really loved the pictures of the two children, it truly took me back to my young years, Ican still remember everyday I had at home when I was pregent and after I gave birth!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't beleive it has been so very many years ago. It has gone by so very fast! I enjoyed peeking into your lifeand Iam surprised more ladies out there aren't reading about your life, it is so nice to step back in time for me, keep writing and enjoy every minute. It goes by so quicklyand most young people don't hold on to the prepriciouss times they do have.

    ReplyDelete