Labels

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Take it back

If I could take it back..
rewind the clock...
to that time.
Gritty, hot summer in the city.

There was that moment,
my skirt blown round my thighs by the swift passing train
and us alone on the platform of the L, watching
the sun set over the skyline, all
purples and pinks and grey smog and neon graffiti on
the walls.

Your fingers laced with mine,
the freckles on your knuckles.

The smells, the heat, the
music.

The time.
Passed quick, it was a blur,
but now I can
recall every moment.

I recall moments where I should have,
if I could have,
turned to you and stopped the clock.
Told you it was you.
Told you it was this road,
not another.
On that platform,
before the train swept in,
I could have stopped it all.
But I was too
deep.

I stepped off
and your eyes filled with questions.
The years have swallowed the words
that were left hanging there.
My heart
still hanging around...
waiting for the L.


No comments:

Post a Comment